[Uim] New helper design

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Thu Jul 15 12:42:18 EEST 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 12:40:14PM +0900, Kazuki Ohta wrote:
> Hi, Hiroyuki.

> Now, we have state indicator as toolbar, panel applet, system tray.
> But the functions of applet and system tray is different, and the interface is
> also different.
> So, we need to use only one way to achieve consistent helper GUI.
>
> I think toolbar is the best.
> Toolbar is independent application, thus it isn't affected by desktop
> environment.

However, I think we _need_ the flexibility of different helper GUIs, for
example, situtations like myself where I'm using a window manager which
won't really work properly with a free-floating status indicator.

A consistent _API_ is probably most important to my mind.

And of course, it's _nice_ to have a well integrated helper interface.
:-)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.