[Uim] Korean input

Kenichi Handa handa at m17n.org
Mon Jul 25 15:20:34 EEST 2005

Hi Jae-hyeon (is it an appropriate form to address you?),
thank you for the prompt response.

In article <87mzobjpc3.fsf at marrow.kias.re.kr>, Park Jae-hyeon <jhpark at kias.re.kr> writes:
>>  Isn't it acceptable to use uppercase letter for specifying
>>  CHOSEONG in such a case; "gagGa" -> "각가", "gagga" -> "가까"?
>>  If so, we don't have to consume SPACE for such a rare case.

> Yes, it is another solution.  Romaja keyboard can be effectively
> regarded as a variant of 2-beolsik layout with a different mapping.
> In 2-beoksik, they avoid syllable breaking ambiguity by assigning each
> of ㄲ,ㄸ,ㅃ,ㅆ,ㅉ to a single shifted key, and commitment occurs at
> syllable breaking or at a non-Korean key.

Umm, then that 2-beolsik method is different from what I
proposed as below:

                2-beolsik-way	my-proposal
gag'ga/ga'gga   gagga/gaGa      gagGa/(gagga or gaGga; both allowed)
gagg'ga/gag'gga gaGga/gagGa     (gaggga or gaggGa; both allowed)/gagGga
gagg'gga        gaGGa           (gagggga or gaggGga; both allowed)

It seems that 2-beolsik method requires shifted key more
frequently than mine, but if that is what widely accepted
and it is better that romaja input follows it, I'll
implement it in m17n-lib's ko-romaja input method.

>>  >>  >ㅟ  wi
>>
>>  When one starts typing by JUNGSEONG, which should be
>>  inserted; "a" -> "ㅏ" or "아"?

> HWP inserts "아", and "aga" becomes "아가", "agxa" becomes "악아".
> So, you don't have a way to enter an isolated jungseong.  I am not
> sure which is better.  If you require "xa" for "아" and regard "a" to
> be "ㅏ" as in 2-beolsik layout, you have more control on isolated jamo
> input, but allowing "a" to be "아" looks more natural.  A possibility
> is to make it configurable in the preference tool.

Ok, I see.  If inputting isolated jamo is rare, I'll
implement a special mode for that (not only for isolated
JUNGSEONG, but also for isolated CHOSEONG and JUNGSEONG,
i.e. all characters in U+3131..U+318E).  How about toggling
that mode by typing "I"?  And, how do you spell "jamo"?
"자모"?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa at m17n.org