[utf-8] Re: Bidi standart

Behdad Esfahbod behdad@cs.toronto.edu
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:02:25 -0500

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Noah Levitt wrote:

> I think it=E2=80=99s a good idea to work on a standard before or
> while working on the gtk+ implementation, especially since
> it sounds like it may be difficult to make the gtk+
> implementation exactly right. Qt, Mozilla, OO.o developers
> I=E2=80=99m sure will be happier to contribute to and follow the
> standard if they see it as a collaborative project to
> describe ideal behavior rather than simply a description of
> gtk+=E2=80=99s.

Believe it or not, none of us knows the ideal behavior.  Or in
other words, the ideal behavior is to "act as I mean", but that's
not going to be implemented any time soon ;).

> In fact I wonder if it might be better to hack on something
> simpler, like Yudit, to implement and test the standard.
> You=E2=80=99re not likely to get commit permission for gtk+ until
> Owen is convinced the implemented behavior is correct, and a
> tested standard would obviously help.

Yudit is out of question, as the author used to reject Unicode
Bidi Algorithm for security reasons.  Moreover, we don't need to
commit in the same dish that Owen does.  Another repo or another
branch is a good place.  But I would first look at the protobidi
that Dov suggested in another mail.

behdad