Define rules to promote sub-categories to the main menu?

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Fri Feb 27 06:25:31 PST 2009

Joseph Krahn wrote in Wed 02/18 2009 at 11:58 -0500:

> My suggestion is to define a rule that allows sub-categories to be
> promoted to the main menu level if the number of entries exceeds some
> threshold. It is not a perfect solution, but it seems like a
> reasonable way to provide a pre-defined system menu that has a
> somewhat better fit to the set of installed software.

It's already in the spec, at least partially:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/ar01s04.html#menu-file-elements

Tag DefaultLayout:

The optional inline_limit attribute defines the maximum number of
entries that can be inlined. If the sub-menu has more entries than
inline_limit, the sub-menu will not be inlined. If the inline_limit is 0
(zero) there is no limit. The optional inline_header attribute defines
whether an inlined menu should be preceded with a header entry listing
the caption of the sub-menu.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12           tel: +420 284 028 966, +49 911 740538747
190 00 Praha 9                                  fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                    http://www.suse.cz/