[Xlibs] A hack for flashplayer

Keith Packard keithp@keithp.com
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:49:50 -0800

Around 9 o'clock on Nov 14, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> Yeah, but this means that Mozilla can't see the depth 32 visual,
> either?  Also, are you sure that that isn't a bug in the Mozilla code?
> We open a new X connection for the flash player - it's very possible
> that we pick the wrong defaults and pass them off to the

Yes, mozilla cannot see the depth 32 visual if you enable this hack
outside of Mozilla.  However, I don't think the fault is in Mozilla.
Flash created the right kind of window and did many proper operations on
it before creating a shared memory image of depth 32.  I have no idea why
the presense of this new visual caused them to do this; certainly the
presense of depth 32 image formats doesn't do it.

We should check the plugin code to make sure it isn't doing anything
silly just in case.

The right kludge (heh) will probably involve special code in Mozilla that
makes the flash connection not see the depth 32 visual while leaving
things otherwise alone.  Otherwise, Mozilla won't be able to use the
ARGB visual for menus and other eye candy, and that would be sad.

-keith