[Xlibs] locale support

Owen Taylor otaylor@redhat.com
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:05:58 -0500

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 12:36, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> >> Does Windows have the neccessary locale info? How about OS/2?
> >
> >Windows might not, but Cygwin does (and that's what matters).  Don't
> >know about OS/2.
>
> Why not implement the ability for X to use the system locale
> information first, and make it compile time conditionally
> enabled.  Default to using it on OS combinations it is known to
> work on, and fix problems as they arise.  There's always fallback
> to existing code then to handle any problems that come up.  In
> time, all relevant platforms will either:

Note that this capability is largely already there, and already
used in XFree86 builds. The only thing that might be getting
duplicated now is Unicode and code conversion tables, but replacing
that with iconv() is not particularly easy, and definitely not
particularly portable. (I'm not sure *BSD even have iconv() support
yet; the names of character sets for iconv aren't at all portable
across systems.)

Regards,
						Owen