[Xlibs] libX11-6.2.1 can't find keysymdef.h, and gmake needed

Jeremy C. Reed reed@reedmedia.net
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:05:38 -0800 (PST)

I have /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h install with my xproto-6.6 package.

configure in libX11-6.2.1 fails with:
looking for /usr/include/X11/Xtrans/X11/keysymdef.h
configure: error: "Cannot find keysymdef.h"

configure does:

$  pkg-config --cflags "xextensions xtrans xau"
-I/usr/include/X11/Xtrans

It seems like the configure script should also check for xproto too?
But that doesn't do me any good:

-=-=-=-=-=-
$ cat /usr/lib/pkgconfig/xproto.pc
prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include

Name: XProto
Version: 6.6
Cflags: -I${includedir}
-=-=-=-=-=-

I don't know pkgconfig, but it appears that X11 is missing.

I am using:

$ pkg-config --version
0.15.0

My fix for libX11 was to patch configure:
 #
-KEYSYMDEF=""
 for flag in $X11_CFLAGS; do

And set in my configure environment:
KEYSYMDEF=/usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h

Then it built and installed fine when using gmake.

I use bmake (aka pmake aka NetBSD make) to build and install xproto,
xextensions, xtrans, and libXau. But needed gnumake for libX11. bmake
caused:
 Making all in src
 cd util; bmake
 bmake:
 "/scratch/pkgsrc/new/libX11/work.puget/libX11-6.2.1/src/util/Makefile"
 line 472: Need an operator
 bmake: Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

(I use bmake under Linux.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/