Problems with libXft-2.1.5 and bitmap fonts

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Mar 18 13:32:51 PST 2004

Around 14 o'clock on Mar 18, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> Sure enough, bitmap fonts no longer load correctly in GNOME.  This seems
> to be directly related to xftfreetype.c rev 1.40.  This always fails for
> the affected fonts:
>
>  if (FT_Set_Char_Size (face, face->available_sizes[best].x_ppem,
> face->available_sizes[best].y_ppem, 0, 0) != 0)

Yes, there is a bug in the BDF and PCF loaders which continue to use the
old 'width/height' elements of the bitmap size structure while the TTF
loader now uses the new x_ppem/y_ppem elements which are documented as
describing the nominal size of the strike.

I've sent in a fix which is in FreeType CVS (I believe), so at least the
problem will eventually go away.

It's all a horrible mess; I'm not sure why FreeType added these new
elements and changed the semantics of the existing elements.

Clearly what we need to do is have both fontconfig and Xft check the
FreeType version number and apply suitable kludges to work with known
versions of the libraries.

-keith