Simultaneous multi-user setup on sepate VT's

Jinn K xorg at magic-lamp.org
Sat Sep 18 12:05:38 PDT 2004

Good day!

I've read through all the docs and googled for hours - but I haven't
been able to find an answer to my question.  Please forgive me if this
is the wrong place to ask the question, but I figured the best people to
ask for guidance on this topic would be the developers.

I want to set up a box with multiple simultaneous users.  That is - two
keyboard/mouse pairs and two separate x sessions running on separate
video card/monitor pairs - all on the same box.

I've read that this can be done with the Backstreet Ruby work and
XFree86, however I also noticed that X11r6.8 now has the new kbd driver
by default, and reading through the configuration documentation it looks
like it should be possible to define ServerLayouts to achieve the
multi-user setup.

Has anyone tried this?  If so, is there anything I should know before a
shot in the dark?

If no one has tried it - should it be possible, in theory, with the
current architecture?  I'll have a go if it is plausible and write up my
experience.

If it's not possible with the current release, is there any plan to have
such features in a future release?

Thanks in advance,
Jinn

PS: Running Gentoo with vanilla kernel 2.4.27.