LCD Switching (was: Re: High resolution on i855 external CRT)

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 13:59:33 PST 2005

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:52:08 -0500, Andrew Barr <barr.156 at osu.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 12:18 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > are you trying for dualhead or just 1280x1024 on the crt only or a
> > clone mode with 1024x768 on the lfp and 1208x1024 on the crt?
>
> I would like to have 1280x1024 on the CRT. The LFP will probably be off
> with the computer lid closed unless I take my computer somewhere in
> which case I'd like to be able to switch to the LCD without restarting
> X. I don't want dual-head.
>
> > > # Xorg configuration created by system-config-display
> > >
> > > Section "ServerLayout"
> > >         Identifier     "Multihead layout"
> > >         Screen      0  "Screen0" LeftOf "Screen1"
> > >         Screen      1  "Screen1" 0 0
> >
> > you have two screen entries.  this is used for dualhead.  you only
> > need one if you want single head or clone.
>
> I removed the second screen entry...
>

> > > Section "Device"
> > >         Identifier  "Videocard0"
> > >         Driver      "i810"
> > >         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
> > >         BoardName   "Intel 852"
> > >         Option "MonitorLayout" "LFP,CRT"
> >
> > if you are trying for dualhead you'll need to add:
> > Screen 0
> > here.  Also I think monitorlayout generally refers to the crtc order.
> > so the first entry would be crtc1 and the second would be crtc2.  that
> > doesn't reflect how you've specified your monitors or screen sections.
> >  reversing the order of the monitorlayout option may help, but I'm not
> > familair with the driver, so I don't know how it uses the option
> > internally (whether it switches the crtc/ouptut mappings or just
> > forces the outputs on)
>
> ...and reversed the MontiorLayout option and I now can get the CRT to
> start in 1280x1024 mode! The problem now is being able to switch the LCD
> on with minimal hassle.

you should be able to get this going with the clone option.  see the
i810 man page.

> There is a key combination on this notebook, Fn+F8, that is marked
> CRT/LCD. It is an ACPI hotkey, I believe. This key, along with closing
> the lid, usually causes display corruption in X. The key works as
> expected in the console but not in X. Even if it doesn't corrupt the
> display*, it doesn't work as expected--it makes the active monitor blink
> once.

Xorg has no support for ACPI at the moment.  In fact if the bios is
handling the hotkey events, it may be running into conflict with the X
server which is probably why you get corruption; that and your LCD
can't handle a 1280x1024 mode.

Alex