Fwd: Feature request: "visible part's resolution as `actual screen size' "

JM Ibanez jm at orangeandbronze.com
Sun Sep 2 06:08:29 PDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: JM Ibanez <jm at orangeandbronze.com>
Date: Sep 2, 2007 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: Feature request: "visible part's resolution as `actual
screen size' "
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb at ispid.com.pl>

On 9/2/07, Zbigniew Baniewski <zb at ispid.com.pl> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 12:50:05AM +0800, JM Ibanez wrote:
>
> > It really is a WM-specific thing. IIRC, XRandR 1.2 already exposes the
> > size of each output, and the window manager is responsible for querying
> > this. This is also exposed via Xinerama (which XRandR 1.2 exposes in a
> > compatible manner).
>
> Hmmm... I really don't know any single wm, which has such option, which I've
> described. I'm afraid, it could take to fix those about 100 wm-s available
> for unix-like systems - so perhaps more practical approach could be to allow
> this at x-server level?

Even if you expose this at the X server level, you'll still have to
make each and every window manager aware of this. If you change the
behavior of the existing protocol, you're more likely to introduce
breakage in the window manager and existing applications.

The window manager is responsible for "maximizing" windows, say when
you click on a button to do so in Metacity.

And again, it's already exposed in Xinerama and XRandR, so I don't see
exactly what you're proposing to do.

---
JM Ibanez
Software Architect