randr 1.2 and traditional multi-head

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Mon Sep 3 13:16:06 PDT 2007

Hi,

is the "traditional" multi-head mode (ie one X screen per monitor) still
supported in the randr-1.2 aware drivers ?

Apart from the fact that some users are used to it and don't want to
change their configs nor their habits, there are some cases like
configuration with one touchscreen where separating the screens is useful.

Using the radeon driver on a Radeon 9200 card with both a DVI and a VGA
output, and the server-1.4-branch code, I can't get my old config to
work. With 2 device sections in xorg.conf, both instances of the driver
get loaded, probe the outputs, but the 2nd one can't find a valid mode
to use.

Is there a way to have 2 X screens in such a config with xrandr 1.2?
--
Matthieu Herrb