Keyboard doesn't work if X was started as user

Tassilo Horn tassilo at member.fsf.org
Tue Sep 11 12:29:31 PDT 2007

Dâniel Fraga <fragabr at gmail.com> writes:

Hi Dâniel,

>> today I upgraded to Xorg 7.3 and now my keyboard doesn't work anymore
>> if I started X as normal user.  It seems that no keyboard input is
>> accepted
>
> 	I have problems too with keyboard using the new Xorg 7.3. I think
> it's related to the new hotplug input code, and the keyboard code has
> some annoying bugs.

Hm, I wouldn't bet that this is the problem.  I compiled the server
without hal/hotplug support and the keyboard didn't work either.

> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib64/xorg/modules/input//kbd_drv.so
> (II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>         compiled for 1.4.0, module version = 1.2.2
>         Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
>         ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 2.0
>
> (WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
>
> (**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
> (**) Keyboard1: always reports core events
> (**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
> (**) Keyboard1: Protocol: standard
> (**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
> (**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
> (**) Keyboard1: XkbRules: "xorg"
> (**) Option "XkbModel" "abnt2"
> (**) Keyboard1: XkbModel: "abnt2"
> (**) Option "XkbLayout" "br"
> (**) Keyboard1: XkbLayout: "br"
> (**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
> (**) Keyboard1: CustomKeycodes disabled
> (II) evaluating device (Keyboard1)
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard1" (type: KEYBOARD)

I don't have any warnings in my Xorg.0.log.  Here's the relevant part:

,----[ /var/log/Xorg.0.log ]
| (II) LoadModule: "kbd"
| (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//kbd_drv.so
| (II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
| 	compiled for 1.4.0, module version = 1.2.2
| 	Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
| 	ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 2.0
`----

No errors and no warnings follow.

It's really a mess.  Now I live and work on a simple console for nearly
two days.  What a luck that I use emacs for everything, so I'm not
completely left stranded.

Bye,
Tassilo