intel driver: playing video with totem: bad quality, causes lockup at next switch to VT

Willi Mann foss-ml at wm1.at
Sat Sep 15 04:07:32 PDT 2007

Hi!

I have a very strange issue on my Acer TravelMate 6004LMi notebook:

Playing videos with totem (and other players) shows very bad colors.
(the brightness seems to be way too high). I don't experience this issue
with the vesa driver, so the players or their libraries are probably not
to blame. (And I didn't experience this issue with 1.x versions of the
intel driver)

Another issue is that very often when I switch to VT, the screen goes
black and the whole system hangs. netconsole deliveres no output. Most
times, the xorg.log file does not contain anything useful. Sometimes
however, (at least twice so far) I got a stack trace.

This lockup always occurs when I have played a video in the X session,
(It's not playing when I switch to VT) but sometimes also when I didn't
play any video in the Xsession. (e.g. when I switch directly from kdm
login screen to VT)

The Hardware:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM
Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 0050
        Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        I/O ports at 1800 [size=8]
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 1

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated
Graphics Device (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 0050
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Memory at e0080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 1

The Software:

# dpkg -l "*xorg*" | grep ^ii
ii  xorg                                 1:7.3+1        X.Org X Window
System
ii  xorg-dev                             1:7.3+1        the X.Org X
Window System development librar
ii  xorg-docs                            1:1.4-2        Miscellaneous
documentation for the X.Org so
ii  xserver-xorg                         1:7.3+1        the X.Org X server
ii  xserver-xorg-core                    2:1.4-1        X.Org X server
-- core server
ii  xserver-xorg-dev                     2:1.4-1        X.Org X server
-- development files
ii  xserver-xorg-input-kbd               1:1.2.2-1      X.Org X server
-- keyboard input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-input-mouse             1:1.2.2-3      X.Org X server
-- mouse input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-input-wacom             0.7.7.11-1     X.Org X server
-- wacom input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-intel             2:2.1.1-3      X.Org X server
-- Intel i8xx, i9xx display d
ii  xserver-xorg-video-intel-dbg         2:2.1.1-3      X.Org X server
-- Intel i8xx, i9xx display d
ii  xserver-xorg-video-vesa              1:1.3.0-3      X.Org X server
-- VESA display driver

The intel driver has been upgraded by hand to latest git (as of
yesterday). AFAIR this issue occured first when I switched to 2.x
version of the intel driver.

The configuration and one logfile with logged crash is attached.

Can anyone help please? Let me know if you need more information.

Willi

Please CC: me on replies.