xf86-video-ati, XRandR 1.2, and what used to be MergedFB

Marius Groeger mgroeger at sysgo.com
Mon Sep 17 02:42:01 PDT 2007

Hello,

following up, not replying to my original post.

I wrote:

> Anyway, after booting KDE I see a funny thing: KDE seems to think
> there are two screens, but they're displayed both(!) on the LVDS. If I ask
> to identify both screens, it looks like this:
>
>    +---------+-------------+
>    |         |             |
>    |   [2]   |             |
>    |         +             |
>    +---------+ [1]         |
>    |                       |
>    |                       |
>    |                       |
>    +-----------------------+

This problem persists. Apparently the little embedded screen relates
to the implicitly not entirely disabled S-Video screen, hence the
dimension of 320x200 pixels. Strangely enough, the infamous "xrandr
--output S-video --off" DOES NOT turn this embedded screen off!

> First thing I need to do to anything reasonable is to turn off
> S-video (xrandr --output S-video --off) as was discussed in another
> thread. Only then I can begin to operate on VGA-0.

So this issue remains.

> xrandr --fb 2680x1050 --output VGA-0 --right-of LVDS seems to do it for me
> almost entirely: I get what was my MergedFB setup, KDE kicker refreshes, the
> weird embedded screen disappears, but: VGA-0 remains pitch-dark! It looks

This or the sequence suggested by Bernard Siaud

  xrandr --output S-video --off
  xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 1280x1024
  xrandr --output VGA-0 --right-of LVDS

have the symptoms I described: the desktop seems to be resized ok, but
VGA-0 remains dark.

@all: anyone with some pointers?

@xf86-video-ati maintainers: what can I do to debug this? Where is it
that an output crtc should be enabled/disabled upon Xrandr events?

Thanks
Marius

--
Marius Groeger
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software