xrandr multihead and window placement

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Tue Sep 18 06:02:49 PDT 2007

Dear Xorg people,

I've been working hard and filing plenty of bugs to get developers
to leave window placement to the window manager, rather than trying
to save/restore the geometry of their application windows.

Now that Xinerama has been obsoleted by xrandr (or at least that's
the more flexible and saner way to do things), I wonder whether you
could give me some information about window placement, that I could
use in my quest.

Xinerama had the concept of "heads", and some window managers, most
notably fluxbox, beautifully supported that: windows would always
open on the head with the primary mouse pointer, unless the
developers had restored the geometry.

Without Xinerama but an xrandr multihead setup, this has stopped to
work, at least in fluxbox. Now, the entire desktop seems to be
a single head, and fluxbox will place windows from left to right,
top to bottom, regardless of whether the window will be split
between the two screens.

I would like to report a bug against fluxbox, and I would also like
to continue to preach about the importance of letting the window
manager handle window placement, but I realise that things must have
changed a bit and that I am out of the loop without much clue as to
how it's supposed to be these days. I also don't have the time to
dig into the code.

Would someone please be so kind as to point me to the right source
of information?

Thanks,

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

"all i know is that i'm being sued for unfair business
 practices by micro$oft. hello pot? it's kettle on line two."
                                                  -- michael robertson

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net