[RFC] Device hierarchy for MPX

Tue Sep 18 23:52:21 PDT 2007

Simon Thum wrote:
> If I got it right that means I can't type into the other pointer's focus
> without actively switching SD/MD attachment?
How do you "passively" switch the attachment? The server would have to
decide which pointer is currently the "better" option. Since this always
depends on the current context, chances are the server always picks the
wrong one and your keyboard focus jumps around unexpectantly.

Note that switching attachments is done through a client-side program,
so nothing stops you from writing one that binds to a global keyboard
shortcut.

> To quote Peter:
>> An MD can have multiple SDs attached.
> If that includes a SD attached to multiple MDs, everything's fine :)

This essentially requires event duplication through multiple MDs. Yes,
it would be fun to be able to type with one keyboard into two textfields
at the same time. But is it really useful?
I can't think of a case where this is required, but it would require
more coding & testing to get it stable. So frankly, I'm against it.

Cheers,
   Peter