ATI 6.7.192 Dual-Head DVI

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Mon Sep 24 19:47:27 PDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 06:05:40PM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On 9/24/07, Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.org> wrote:
> > > >
> > > not sure.  I haven't tried it myself.
> >
> > I tried again with the 6.7.194 driver.  Photos, README, and files are
> > here:
> >
> >   http://people.ubuntu.com/~bryce/triple-head/
> >
> > Essentially, after switching to tty1 and back, all 3 monitors displayed
> > without corruption, however monitor 3 was inaccessible by mouse or
> > keyboard.
>
> you don't specify any orientation for screen2 to in your config:
>         Screen          "Screen0"
> #        Screen          "Screen1"
>         Screen          "Screen2"
>
> should be something like:
>         Screen          "Screen0" 0 0
> #        Screen          "Screen1"
>         Screen          "Screen2" RightOf "Screen0"

Thanks, that got it functioning more or less.

I found that the displays were always corrupted on start, or after the
screensaver kicked in, but that it could be cleared by going to tty1 and
back.  Unfortunately, doing this two or three times could lead the
system to lockup requiring a power cycle.

I could launch programs on the widescreen via `DISPLAY=":0.1" xterm`,
and the mouse and keyboard focus would follow.  I was able to move the
mouse down off the upper monitor and return to the lower ones, but not
the reverse.

The two lower monitors inside :0.1 seem to be treated as a single screen
- if you maximize an app it stretches across both.  Menus and panels
were also affected by this.  Strange that simply enabling the third
screen would cause this behavior, as it did not occur when simply
disabling it.

Anyway, tantalizingly close, but not quite there.

> > Also, it brings up a question.  How *would* one configure multi-board
> > setups with xrandr?  I notice the screens on the second card have the
> > same identifiers as the screens on the first card.
>
> GPU objects.  xrandr 1.3

Can't wait!  :-)

Bryce