Release criteria for X11 releases

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 06:05:15 PDT 2007

On 9/26/07, Matthieu Herrb <matthieu.herrb at laas.fr> wrote:
> Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > R.L. Horn wrote:
> >> I'm not a distributor, but I do build and maintain my own systems.  I took
> >> one look at R7.3 and said to myself, "Uh-uh...not worth the trouble."
> >
> > I could be wrong but I think these releases are getting less and less
> > significant in the new modular world.... I think most distros will soon
> > be shipping the latest released (but compatible with each other)
>
> the "compatible with each other" point is the key here. The relases
> should imho provide this "compatibility guaranteed" label to a set of
> packages.
>
> Having each distributor to do his own tests and integration is a waste
> of resources and time.

Would it be possible to roll a 7.3.1 katamari after 1.4.1 comes out?
For the above reason and to fold in some overlooked or broken modules.
Look at the New/Updated modules on Releases/7.4. Most of these were
overlooked updates or fix non-compiling modules.

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/Releases/7.4

--
Dan