Errors while trying to start xserver(xvesa, xnvidia, etc)

Chris chris at overflow.no
Wed Apr 21 00:46:57 EST 2004

Hi, i've read up and down your mailinglist, docs, and google, trying to
get this Xserver to start.
I still can't seem to figure out why i get the following error
"Connection refused. Make sure another Xserver isn't running".
I read the FAQ which said i should try "-ac -nolisten tcp", which gave
me another error: "_Xsomexlib: No such transport."
I'd give more complete error-msgs but the display gets garbled upon
returning from X(normal X to console), and i'm a *little bit* tired of
rebooting now :)
I've tried the following to start the server:
Simply running all the binaries in /opt/fdo/bin/ with no args,
"/opt/fdo/bin/Xvesa  -screen 1024x768x16x75 :1 & xterm -display :1",
and in all desperation:
"xinit /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -- /opt/fdo/bin/Xvesa -screen 1024x768x16x75
:1", which started the normal X with an xterm..
Been trying to get it started for hours now, and frankly i'm getting a
bit frustrated :)

I have a nvidia gf mx400 card with an intel i850 chipset on the mb,
running suse 9.0 and using nvidia binary driver. Afaik Xnvidia isn't
really supposed to work for more than one card, but Xvesa is, isn't it?

Any ideas?

Regards
--
Chris <chris at overflow.no>