Using OpenGL as a window manager

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at rogers.com
Wed Apr 28 01:15:33 EST 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:23:48 +0100
"Martijn Sipkema" <msipkema at sipkema-digital.com> wrote:

<snip>
> I'm not saying clients should use PutImage for rendering. In fact
> I think clients should use only OpenGL/GLX for rendering. I also
> think that transparent windows is a hard thing to do right (and
> maybe not even that useful), let alone transformed windows
> (which really aren't useful at all).

How will a 3D window manager control windows if it can't
transform them?

> Putting a higher level of abstraction on the client side could be
> done using a library or by using a user interface server using
> the X server for output.

You mean like a Gtk-3D Toolkit?

If much of this work isn't done on the server you lose some nice
capabilities that currently exist.   I routinely use a single Xserver to
service applications running on 3 different servers.    You need
some way for a Window manager running on just one of those machines
to control (read transform) windows opened from other machines.

Sean.