help on cross-compiling xserver

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys@hp.com
Wed, 04 Feb 2004 12:53:36 -0500

Suresh,

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 02:32, Suresh Chandra Mannava wrote:
> Dear Friends,
> I need to port X on a new Processor (Abacus 32bit
> RISC, made in India).
>
> Linux kernel 2.4.7 ported "with out" DRI or
> framebuffer support.
>
> Cross-compiler tool chain with uClibc(0.9.19) is
> availabe without shared library support (ldso absent).
> threads support is not available.
>
> here are my queries,
>
> 1)does xserver supports above configuration?

Yes, though you may want frame buffer support; if your
graphics chip looks like Vesa, you are all set.

> 2)how to cross-compile xserver? I already it
> downloaded from CVS

Phil Blundell and/or Mathew Allum have cross compiled
the xserver bits for use on the iPAQ handheld, which is an
ARM architecture.

I believe they can help out with more exact recipies;
Phil, Mathew, it might be good to update the wiki with some
directions.

> 3)I need to statically link xdrive at location
> 0x80001000, please provide some information on static
> linking Xserver

Why at that address?

The current build stuff gives you a statically linked
X server (all X stuff is built into the image), using
system libraries.

> 4)Is integrated ATI Rage XL(PCI) supported?

I think so; Keith Packard knows for sure.