help on cross-compiling xserver

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys@hp.com
Fri, 06 Feb 2004 10:15:25 -0500

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 00:31, Suresh Chandra Mannava wrote:
>  Dear Sir,
>
> --- Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys@hp.com> wrote: >
>
> > > Cross-compiler tool chain with uClibc(0.9.19) is
> > > availabe without shared library support (ldso
> > absent).
> > > threads support is not available.
> > >
> > > here are my queries,
> > >
> > > 1)does xserver supports above configuration?
> >
> > Yes, though you may want frame buffer support; if
> > your graphics chip looks like Vesa, you are all set.
>
> ATI rage XL is integrated on board this is software
> compatible with all RAGE PRO designs and also features
> full VESA.
>
> > Phil Blundell and/or Mathew Allum have cross
> > compiled
> > the xserver bits for use on the iPAQ handheld, which
> > is an
> > ARM architecture.
> >
> > I believe they can help out with more exact
> > recipies;
>
> once again, I request you to provide some pointers on
> cross-compiling static xserver, I need to link it
> statically which starts from location 0x80001000.
>
> > > 3)I need to statically link xdrive at location
> > > 0x80001000, please provide some information on
> > static
> > > linking Xserver
> >
> > Why at that address?
>
> our board/kernel only executes user mode programs from
> this location.

Generally, toolchains get built to link at whatever
address is the default location for the target architecture
and environment.  Are you saying that your toolchain
does not "do the right thing"?

If it doesn't, it may, in the long term, be much easier
to fix it once there, rather than having to fix it
for each and every application built.

If for some reason you do have to manually specify the
address, I think you'll find the
usual LDFLAGS sort of facilities in the packages to
allow you from the command line or environment define
additional flags for linking.

> > The current build stuff gives you a statically
> > linked
> > X server (all X stuff is built into the image),
> > using
> > system libraries.
>
> what about X libraries for running X applications?

Generally, the packages build both shared and static libraries
(.so and .a) to link against; your choice.

> I request your help in porting xserver to this new
> platform.

The book: GNU Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool by Gary V. Vaughan
(Author), Ben Elliston (Author), Tom Tromey (Author), Ian Lance Taylor
(Author) covers the GNU build tools very well.

The fd.o packages are no different than most other open source
software that uses those tools (a very high fraction of
existing open source software).
                         - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys@hp.com>