[cairo] COPYING files....

Sean Middleditch elanthis@awesomeplay.com
Mon, 09 Feb 2004 08:13:45 -0500

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 12:28 +0100, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Carl Worth writes:
>  > On Feb 6, Jim Gettys wrote:
>  >  > We need to put into place COPYING files for all the new modularized
>  >  > packages ASAP; some currently lack this.
>  >
>  > The cairo COPYING files seem to be in place at least.
>
> Each individual source file should bear a Copyright notice and a
> license information which in case of the MIT license text is
> customized with the copyright holder's name.
> Therefore I don't know how relevant a general COPYING file will be.
> If it is relevant at all it may not even be a good idea to have one
> - especially with the recent history in mind.

The advantages of a COPYING file are that users can easily read the
license without digging in source files, that files which do not allow
easy embedding of COPYING notices can still have a license file (i.e.,
if you have a lot of PNGs or something else, where you'd prefer not to
embed huge text chunks), and for larger licenses (GPL) you only need to
refer the user to the COPYING file in the copyright headers of files,
versus copy the whole thing into the sources.

If the project has lots of different licenses in it, tho, the COPYING
file might not be the best idea, unless you include all the relevant
licenses.

You don't need the copyright notice in the copying file; just the
license.  Put the individual copyrights in the files themselves.  That
way you don't need 100 contributors listed in your COPYING file.