New DRM model

Jon Smirl jonsmirl@yahoo.com
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 13:32:52 -0800 (PST)

--- Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 07:01, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > I have a new version of DRM at bk://mesa3d.bkbits.net/drm
> > In it's current form it's 2.6 kernel only. Some support is generic but I've
> > mainly be working on an R200. It is still under development with lots of
> work to
> > do.
>
> Nice, but I still need a equivalent of radeonfb for mode setting, which
> has to be in the kernel. And fbcon should survive for a while, at least
> until there's replacement. Ideally, the new model shouldn't enforce which
> of fbcon or userland console one uses.

Why does general purpose mode setting need to be in the kernel? It's a 100K of
code. We're only talking about about the few seconds between power-on and early
user space starting. After we get early user-space I use it to run the mode code
in user space.

Does your hardware power on to a visible configuration? If so why can't we use
that until early user-space starts? If not, the DRM driver could be hardwired to
start the card out in 640x480 until early user-space starts.

Note that the new model only applies to DRM devices. Everthing else would
continue with the old code.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@yahoo.com