New DRM model

Jon Smirl jonsmirl@yahoo.com
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 20:22:30 -0800 (PST)

--- Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> we synchronously stop the CCE, wait for everything to be idle, blast
> the text using a very simple low level text engine (like the one I use
> for early boot debug on ppc), and restart the CCE engine.
>
> That's just an idea at this point... if we go that way, we may want
> to still use the console loglevel to avoid having things like ethernet
> link change messages override the Xserver on normal setups :)

If xerver is composting off from vertical retrace the blast is going to
disappear 1/60 of second after it is written.

An oops can generate a 'blue screen of death" without much problem. Just leave
the monitor in whatever mode it's in (hope that we weren't halfway into a mode
change), erase the screen, print the oops, and wait for reboot. Force all mode
changes through the driver will allow this to be implemented.

printks have got to buffer if xserver is running and then go into a console
window and get compositied with everything else. If a full screen console window
is up it should be possible to draw them at interrupt time.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@yahoo.com