New DRM model

Jon Smirl jonsmirl@yahoo.com
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 20:51:19 -0800 (PST)

--- Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> Well... I still like an emergency printk that blasts on top of the screen,
> may still be handy for debugging. We could indeed have the screen locked
> into some "penguin screen of frozen icecream", but it would be nice to
> still be able to switch to normal display with sysrq for example. A lot
> of oops will leave the box up, and in some case, you really want it still
> up to gather more data about the problem...

We could leave the screen in whatever mode it is in and start painting a console
window on it. The driver would send drawing commands from all other sources into
the bit bucket until this mode was exited (via a VT switch?). But then we have
to figure out how to get a shell connected to it. This might work since we
control the terminal emulator in the user space app and it can adjust the shell
for the new random screen size.

This would be way better than what Linux has right now.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@yahoo.com