rethrowing events, and digests

Keith Packard keithp@keithp.com
Mon, 09 Feb 2004 23:12:52 -0800

Around 14 o'clock on Feb 10, Luke Bigum wrote:

> What i was really thinking of was a daemon app like xcompmgr, that doesn't
> have a window of it's own, to grab key/mouse events and modify them (button
> pressed, x/y location, window, etc). Then throw the modified event back out
> to X (which uses the modified values to determine what window the event
> should go to) letting the receiving window handle the event as normal it
> normally would.

Yes, that's precisely what we need to have for transformed windows to get
correct mouse input.  I don't know how to do this reasonably efficiently
-- adding another round trip per mouse event seems like a bad plan, but
perhaps we should try it and see.

A proposal for what semantics we need would be welcome here; I think the
actual implementation won't be the hard part here, we mostly need to
figure out how it needs to work.

-keith