rethrowing events, and digests

Egbert Eich eich@xfree86.org
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:09:14 +0100

Keith Packard writes:
 > But, there's no (current) way to filter events.  We need something like
 > this to deal with transformed windows.  I'm a bit worried about latency
 > though; I'm wondering if the X server should have a monopoly on
 > communication with the mouse.

Maybe no monopoly, but in a networked environment the Xserver may be
the only instance that has full access to the input devices. Delivering
events from a central agent is not all that wrong. If latencies are an
issue one should rather think of a different way to deliver these events
to interested clients.
Media streaming has the same problem: they must guarantee a maximal
latency.
I've been playing a little bit with an extention that intercepts
input events before they get delivered to clients and is able to
modify them. I'm also concerned that latencies may introduce
undesireable side effects and races.
Also allowing a client to receive events bypassing any device
grabs introduces a security hole.

Egbert.