[cairo] COPYING files....

Egbert Eich eich@xfree86.org
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:11:51 +0100

Dave Dodge writes:
 > On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:26:37AM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
 > > The nicest part about all of this is that once the tarballs are built, the
 > > target system need have *none* of the autoconf/automake tool chain
 > > installed.
 >
 > As a longtime victim of Sun's bundled imake configuration, I'll concur
 > that relying on an installed predetermined configuration system is a
 > recipe for disaster -- or at least long, loud cursing fits. I for one
 > was extremely happy to see autotools being used for the new server,

This is a nice endorsement for autotools however it doesn't address
any of my concerns at all. It only degrades the Imake configuration
shipped by SUN. I had the same problems with the one shipped with AIX
by IBM.

 > since I know that 1) it usually works; 2) it usually does what I tell
 > it; and 3) when it does misbehave it can usually be hacked/overridden
 > without a lot of trouble.

3 is also true for Imake - at least that's not a point that
speaks against Imake.

Egbert.