Some composite questions

Jay Cotton Jay.Cotton@Sun.COM
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:32:32 -0800

Hi Keith:

Here are a few questions about the composite extension.

1. SetWindowPixmap

     The main ingredient in translating DDX requests into memory
     pixmap rendering appears to be the use of pScreen->SetWindowPixmap
     to disconnect a window from its "screen pixmap" and connect it to
     the backing pixmap allocated by the extension. I see how this
     works for memory rendering routines, such as cfb and fb--they
     do their rendering to window's pixmap, but I don't see how this
     works for arbitrary DDXs.  The DDXs I'm familiar with do not
     do all of their rendering using the window's pixmap (which is
     ordinarily the screen pixmap. Rather, they often directly
     translate the DDX calls into writes to device-specific rendering
     fifos or DMA request buffers. Is the composite extension intended
     to deal with these kind of DDXs, or is it assuming that the
     X11 server will be configured to use a DDX which uses only
     memory rendering?

2. 32-bit visual

    Why does the composite extension do surgery on the visual list
    to add a 32-bit visual? What is this used for?

3. miRegisterRedirectBorderClipProc

    The composite code makes a call to the mi routine
    miRegisterRedirectBorderClipProc. Was this added specifically
    to support the composite extension? The name would suggest it.
    Where can I find the source to this function?

------  New subject -----

The list has been quite on XFixes for a few weeks now, are you done
changing it for the time being?  I'd like to start a port but don't
want to have to 're-do' work.

Thanks

JC
--