[Xlibs] Re: [cairo] COPYING files....

Alan Coopersmith Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:26:07 -0800

Keith Packard wrote:
> Yes, pkg-config doesn't really follow the general autoconf philosophy of
> not requiring any special tools.  I'm of two minds on this issue;
> pkg-config eliminates a huge amount of nasty configuration code to
> construct the right options for each library, but it requires pkg-config
> to exist on the build system.

So is there any real difference in the end between imake and pkg-config?
You still end up having to have the correct settings set up for both, and
it's still possible for the OS distributor to screw up both.

Elsewhere in this thread someone said that the autotools and pkg-config
were better than imake because:

 > since I know that 1) it usually works; 2) it usually does what I tell
 > it; and 3) when it does misbehave it can usually be hacked/overridden
 > without a lot of trouble.

I actually find those to all be arguments in favor of Imake, but that's
probably due to years of imake experience, so those 3 arguments boil down
to "I want to use the one I know how to use effectively."

--
	-Alan Coopersmith-          alan.coopersmith@sun.com
	 Sun Microsystems, Inc. -- Operating Platforms Group