trouble with Xfont lib

Keith Packard keithp@keithp.com
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:41:07 -0800

Around 20 o'clock on Feb 12, Frederik Nosi wrote:

> the file decompress.c is missing in Xfont/fontfile/Makefile.am

That's correct; decompress.c had (until I erased the contents) the old BSD
license which included an advertising clause.  I've heard that the source
of the contents of this file has been relicensed in NetBSD.

Note that this file permits the use of .pcf.Z (or .bdf.Z) fonts, a format
which cannot be generated on Linux (or probably BSD) because the
'compress' program has patent issues.

You shouldn't need to add that file back to Makefile.am; the last user
(builtin) should have been fixed a few days ago.  If there are still users
of decompress.c, it should be considered a bug.

-keith