input device support in xserver

Keith Packard keithp@keithp.com
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:08:24 -0800

Around 10 o'clock on Feb 15, Warren Turkal wrote:

> > let an external agent manipulate the translation from
> > physical motion to both hierarchy and logical position

> I guess I don't see how this ties to the mouse.

My thought was that the input transformation needs to take raw mouse
motion and convert it to a position in a specific window.  The obvious way
is to pass the events from the X server to the compositing manager and
then back to the X server.  A more efficient path would see the
compositing manager receive the events directly and pass computed events
to the X server.  So, some way of getting the input device event stream
redirected to another application may in fact be necessary.

Have fun. Oh, Matthew Allum (or other handhelds.org hacker) should help
figure out how to do the configuration part -- that's needed for touch
screens.

-keith