ALT+ IJKL for cursor movement

Alexander Gottwald Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 01:07:56 +0100 (MET)

Ahmad Baitalmal wrote:

> I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask this question, please
> point me to where I should ask.

you could ask the people on the irc channel #freedesktop on irc.freenode.org
some of them are real X experts and may help you with this.

> I'm trying to make X11 fire the Left,Down,Right,Up keyboard arrow event
> when pressing the Left ALT key and JKLI keys.
>
> I'm guessing XKB could do this, it certainly looks complicated enough.
> I've been racking my head on it's manual for 3 days and I'm still lost :(

If there is functionality for simulating mouse move events...

I know fvwm has such feature: (excerpt from ~.fvwm2rc)

 + "I" Key      Left    A       S       CursorMove -1 0
 + "I" Key      Left    A       SC      CursorMove -10 +0
 + "I" Key      Right   A       S       CursorMove +1 +0
 + "I" Key      Right   A       SC      CursorMove +10 +0

This means: Pressing Shift (S) and Left moves the cursor one unit to the left
Pressing Shift+Control (SC) and Left moves the cursor ten unists to the left.

Maybe this helps.

bye
    ago

NP: Absurd Minds - Herzlos