Xinerama infrastructure

Steve Salazar eagsalazar@hotmail.com
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:07:17 +0000

Hi.  I am not an X developer so forgive me if I get some of my facts/ideas
wrong.

Xinerama is currently not accelerated under XFree86.  My understanding is
that xinerama and acceleration were simply not built into the XFree 4.x
architecture in a way that would make implementing accelerated xinerama in
XFree86 a reasonable task for any but the most highly motivated individuals
(none yet have emerged apparently)

Now, I know that there are many many features and functions that are still
being implemented in the rather young fd.o Xserver and that xinerama might
not rank very high on that list of coding tasks, but in the end I assume
that xinerama is something that people will want and that xserver will
support.

So, my question is this:  is accelerated xinerama something that is even
being considered at this early architecting stage of xserver development so
that when the time comes to implement it, it will be reasonably easy and
will actually happen?  Is the fd.o xserver architected in a way that
xinerama will fall conveniently within some abstraction that will make it so
that we essentially get the multi-head support for free or with little
overhead in terms of performance/coding effort/maintenance?

Right now I am actually using Xig's x-server because I use dual head at work
and the unaccellerated performance on dual head was totally unacceptable
with XFree.  Please tell me that I will not still be in this same situation
one year from now.

Get some great ideas here for your sweetheart on Valentine's Day - and
beyond. http://special.msn.com/network/celebrateromance.armx