Xinerama infrastructure

Steve Salazar eagsalazar@hotmail.com
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:55:53 +0000

<tangential clarifications>
Ok, I will reword this.  If what I am asking is still not perfectly well
defined in a mathematical sense, please try to infer from my imprecise
wording what I am *trying* to ask.  I think that should be possible:

Is it the intention of fd.o xserver developers to have their xserver mature
into an application that could (if distros and/or individual users choose to
do so) be used as a real alternative to XFree86 for real desktop/cad/etc
users and be on par or better than XFree86 in terms of features and
performance?  If so, is it the intention of fd.o xserver developers to do
this an the near future (circle one: 6months  ,   1year   ,  2 years   ,  ??
)

Basically, is this thing for real?  When I say "for real" I mean from the
perspecive of an actual linux desktop user in the way that XFree86 is "for
real" since it is actually what thousands of people can (and do, but not
neccissarily do) use every day as regular old desktop users.  Not to say
that "for real" might not mean for you and other more specific users
something totally different.

I understand that their may be many reasons, political, legal, or otherwise,
why people at fd.o might be hesitant to make early claims or poorly
quailified statements about their goals and intentions.  So please don't
take my slightly smartass disclaimers too seriously.
</tangential clarifications>

<actual reason for this thread>
And oh yeah, I'm still not clear on if it is likely xinerama will be fast
when/if xserver does mature (not that it won't!) and if that
speed/functionality will arrive with first mature releases of xserver or at
some extremely distant and undetermined time afterward (like with XFree68).
</actual reason for this thread>

Thanks.

>From: Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM>
>To: Steve Salazar <eagsalazar@hotmail.com>
>CC: mharris@www.linux.org.uk, benh@kernel.crashing.org,
>jaymz@artificial-stupidity.net, xserver@freedesktop.org
>Subject: Re: Xinerama infrastructure
>Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:01:44 -0800
>
>Steve Salazar wrote:
>>A lot of people are assuming (and are exited) that in a year or so the
>>fd.o xserver will replace XFree.  Is that true?
>
>Replace XFree86 how?  In a specific distribution/flavor of Linux, BSD, or
>Unix?  If so, you would have to ask the people responsible for that
>distribution.  There are dozens of distros/OS'es distributing part or all
>of XFree86, and they each decide independently what software they will want
>to ship with their releases.
>
>--
>	-Alan Coopersmith-          alan.coopersmith@sun.com
>	 Sun Microsystems, Inc. -- Operating Platforms Group
>	 Solaris x86 & Interface Technology: X Window System

Get some great ideas here for your sweetheart on Valentine's Day - and
beyond. http://special.msn.com/network/celebrateromance.armx