X compression techniques (was Re: VNC server based on kdrive using damage extension?)

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle@danka.de
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:24:14 +0100

Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>

>>Look even more closely! All that's important for you *is* GPL.
>>What you can compile from the sources is ready to serve you
>>on the commandline to build a connection with highly efficient
>>differential compression and cachinng. Better than anything I
>>have seen before. Free for all to use who agree with the GPL.
>>
>>On top of the GPL'd libraries, nomachine.com also offer a
>>commericial, proprietary product. So what? It is dead-cheap,
>>if you ask me, and worth every penny.
>

> So what?  How does that software in any way contribute to the
> development of xserver, kdrive, or any future X development?
>
> Simple answer:  It doesn't.

OK -- then let's simply wait and see.

Your attitude means that there is no point in discussing it
any further in *this* thread. It also indicates that you
haven't *really* looked at it.

 From my guess: NX is one future cornerstone to rescue the
perspective for X and X-based applications.

> If you want to use their solution, by all means go right ahead,
> and if their product built on top of it is whippy-snappy for you,
> fantastic.  Jump up and down screaming how great it is.
>
> That does not in any way benefit or affect the development of the
> X Window System at all, and as such, whatever merits that
> software may or may not have for you or others, it is useless to
> the purposes of this mailing list, or for the future development
> of the X Window System.

You're displaying the same ignorance and arrogance here that
the old dyed-in-the-wool LPD-gurus and fans deflated from
themselves 5 years ago. I was talking about CUPS, they were
not wanting to even have a look. "We don't need no new useless
printing system -- Unix can print just fine, since many
years."  Sorta doesn't convince me -- I'm used to it.

Cheers,
Kurt