X compression techniques (was Re: VNC server based on kdrive using damage extension?)

Ely Levy elylevy-xserver@cs.huji.ac.il
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:25:29 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Egbert Eich wrote:

> Mike A. Harris writes:
>  >
>  > So what?  How does that software in any way contribute to the
>  > development of xserver, kdrive, or any future X development?
>  >
>  > Simple answer:  It doesn't.
>  >
>  > If you want to use their solution, by all means go right ahead,
>  > and if their product built on top of it is whippy-snappy for you,
>  > fantastic.  Jump up and down screaming how great it is.
>  >
>  > That does not in any way benefit or affect the development of the
>  > X Window System at all, and as such, whatever merits that
>  > software may or may not have for you or others, it is useless to
>  > the purposes of this mailing list, or for the future development
>  > of the X Window System.
>
> It will become interesting once one thinks about integrating this
> technology directly into the client lib/Xserver. It contains a lot
> of good ideas to reduce the traffic and especially the round trips
> on the wire.
>
> After reaching an almost unanimous consent that lbx is more or less
> useless (the author himself claims it's entirely useless) all we are
> left with right now is doing wire compression by going thru ssh.
> Other plans exist to reduce wire round trips however from all what
> I know about NX's solution it is doing a lot more - like persistent
> caching of pixmaps even between X sessions.
>
> Kurt's email may have been written a little bit from a salesperson's
> point of view, but that doesn't negate the idea behind this software.
>
> Egbert.

I agree with that,
but I think it should be our own developed thing,
I also think we should start being a bit more strict about
the license of the code that gets into xserver
one is more than enough.. I do know the NX people are intrested
in integrating their code into the xserver (they were at least for
xouvert), it would be nice to have it as an extention or xlib code.

As to what it would xserver get from it?:)
well the same thing having a not black and white xserver would.
a better experiance for some of our users.

nakee