X compression techniques (was Re: VNC server based on kdrive using damage extension?)

Egbert Eich eich@xfree86.org
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:23:06 +0100

Mike A. Harris writes:

 > Should the software become relicensed to be MIT/X11 compatible
 > license, then it would be much more valuable from the perspective
 > of an X developer looking to improve the X server, etc.  If
 > they're willing to relicense the code, then that is great news.

I'd think it should work the other way around.
If we find parts of the code interesting to be integrated in
X itself we should discuss if it can be relicensed.
If we find that this element of the X wire communication
best lives inside a proxy there is not need to relicense
it as in this case the license is irrelevant.

 > I'm not hostile towards NX itself, nor it's developers, and if it
 > has appeared that way to anyone, then I hope my intentions are
 > clarified by this message.

OK.

 > However, on several occasions both in email and IRC I have had
 > non-developer end users come into develmental discussions asking
 > why we don't just use NX, and that irritates me, because we are
 > developers trying to improve X.  We don't improve X by just using
 > some other pre-existing software, however non-developer types
 > just don't seem to "get" what our goals are.  Afterall, we could
 > just disable the TCP transport entirely in X and just use VNC, or
 > some other solution.  The fact we're not doing so indicates that
 > we all believe that there are other options available, and that
 > there are other paths we can take to work on a better solution in
 > X in the future.

We often disable the TCP transport in X as for most situations we
tunnel it thru ssh. X's network capability doesn't exist because
it has a TCP layer but because there is a protocol and certain
features inside the protocol that make it (more or less) feasable
across a wire. If there was just an ABI it wouldn't be network
transparent. Most solutions (also NX) take advantage of this
'network transparency'. It just uses a more efficient transport
methods across some parts of the wire.
In cases where a network transparency doesn't exist you have to
implement this into a 'driver' on a very low level.

 > NX seems like wonderful technology, and so if it could be
 > relicensed to be compatible with the MIT license then it would be
 > something useable inside X potentially, and any of my voiced
 > opinions about it from an X11 developmental viewpoint more or
 > less become null and void.

Right.

 > Apologies if I have seemed overly hostile in the discussion, as I
 > do often get a bit short with end users who try to fit into
 > developmental discussions without understanding things from a
 > developer viewpoint.

 Thank you.

Egbert.