X compression techniques (was Re: VNC server based on kdrive using damage extension?)

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys@hp.com
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:56:13 -0500

Yes, NX looks very interesting.

SSH by itself makes a big difference, and I understand that NX goes
well beyond that. I'll try to somehow dig up the time somewhere.
Our paper shows that there is a tremendous lot to be gained
by various bandwidth and latency fixes.

The performance issue will primarily come to the fore in environments
like LTSP, where scaling on servers is an issue (how many people
you can support on a single box).  NX, or SSH, for an individual
user talking to a single machine I'm sure presents little issue.
But on a single box with 100 users, it is something to worry about,
I would guess.

*The* big issue right now about X and network transparency over
any network is the security and authentication piece; without
handling that, we don't have a long term viable solution.

                               - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys@hp.com>
HP Labs, Cambridge Research Laboratory