Composite and damage status

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue May 11 11:26:33 PDT 2004

Around 11 o'clock on May 11, Egbert Eich wrote:

> - Does that mean we don't have to 'fix' XAA any more for composite?

Correct.  "fixing" XAA would still be a good idea, but it's not required.
Using the 'shim' layer causes duplicate allocation of GCs, Pictures and a
lot of extra region manipulation.  Functional, but sub-optimal.

> - Will we 'automatically' get offscreen fb storage of COMPOSITE
>   windows doing this? XAA can do offscreen pixmaps. If a wrapping
>   layer makes a lower layer believe that these windows are really
>   pixmaps it should work. (I have to admit I've never looked at
>   the BS code).

That would have happened in any case as the rendering is directed at
pixmaps.  The shim, however, eliminates the window entirely from the DDX's
viewpoint, so rendering appears to be directed solely at pixmaps.

-keith