[Accessibility] Roles (was: Updated requirements document)

Milan Zamazal pdm@brailcom.org
Sat Jan 8 07:06:05 PST 2005

    PK> In your list of interpretations, there is one key one you missed
    PK> (and which is at least personally the issue in my case): that
    PK> other burning issues of the moment are taking all of the
    PK> bandwidth that might otherwise be devoted to this topic that we
    PK> certainly do care about.

I can understand it, I probably thought it as such an obvious problem
shared by most of us that I even didn't mention it :-).  In my
experience many interesting efforts die because of it.  To avoid this,
it may be necessary, if nothing happens about something, to allocate at
least one or two hours in a month to the project within the huge amount
of other work.  If we fail to do anything for a project, it's likely
*all* potential contributors simply give up and then it's effectively
equal to a "don't care anymore" situation.

Please note this is not criticism to anyone, I'm just trying to find a
way not to let the TTS API work die.

Maybe it would help if we knew what we can expect.  If someone works on
something, others should know.  If someone is going to do something
later, others should know.  If someone steps down from his previously
claimed work, others should know that nobody works on it anymore.
Anything else can't be expected to be done by anyone unless somebody
takes it.

Maybe we can efficiently divide our work, so that all the necessary
small pieces get done.  The following current roles are known to me:

- Olaf Schmidt administrates this mailing list.

- Gary Cramblitt works on a text splitting library.

- Several people promised to look at the requirements again.  Please let
  us know if you actually do this, even if you find nothing to comment
  on or to disagree with.

- I can try to update, once I have some time (unlikely to happen sooner
  than in February), the requirements/implementation document with
  results of this round of discussions.

    PK> I'm sorry I don't have any specific feedback to the good
    PK> discussions going on here.

Thanks, Peter, for your reply anyway!

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
I fear fear both faith and power
They have no need to use any question marks   -- UJD