[Accessibility] Portability of file descriptors and C streams

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org
Tue Jan 18 04:59:28 PST 2005

Hi,

Olaf Schmidt, le mar 18 jan 2005 12:39:54 +0100, a dit :
> 2. Milan therefore suggested to use file descriptors rather than C
> streams, but we are again not sure how portable they are.

File descriptors are what the *operating system* provides, so they
are indeed portable, since that is the only way to work on files
anyway... (C streams are built *over* file descriptors, see fileno()).

People may then very well use C streams over those file descriptors
(thanks to fdopen()) or whatever advanced stream in whatever langage,
provided they care about flushing (fflush()).

Regards,
Samuel