[Accessibility] TTS API interface description + reqs update

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Sun Apr 30 05:50:32 PDT 2006

On Saturday 29 April 2006 17:47, Jonathan Duddington wrote:
> 2.  A say_text() call can speak the text from a specified word or
> sentence. Would speak from a specified character position also be
> useful?  Consider an application where the user places a caret in the
> text and asks to speak from that position onwards.  The application
> can't ask to speak from a word number, because its counting of words
> may differ from the synthesizer's.

The interface is designed with the goal that applications don't have to do
their own sentence or word boundary detection.  Given a character position,
the application can determine the word boundary by examining the returned
word index mark information.  I suppose as a convenience, the api could do
that for the app.

> Of course, it could just send the
> text from that position, but if the text has SSML then it would be more
> convenient for the application to send the whole <speak> </speak> block
> so that it can leave the job of parsing the SSML tags to the
> synthesizer.

exactly

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)