[Accessibility] support for speech recognition in X and free desktops

Claudio Fontana sick_soul at yahoo.it
Tue Mar 7 15:28:23 PST 2006

Hello,

if this is not the right place to ask, or if you know
where this question could be more topical, please just
tell.

I am a developer, using mostly GNU/Linux systems.
Recently I had medical problems with my right shoulder
and right arm due to long work at the computer.
Using the mouse is expecially painful, but the
keyboard can hurt too.
To get it short, what I'd like to see in X is basic
speech recognition support, with a 'keycode' mode and
a 'speech' mode, also switchable using voice commands.

In the first case, a couple of XSendEvent for an
XKeyEvent (press/release) could be generated in
response to a voice input that matches certain
patterns that correspond to each/most keycodes.

In the second case much more work is probably needed.
But maybe something good can be obtained from this
project: http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net

If there's already an effort in that sense,
I would be very grateful if you could point me to the
right places and documentation.

Thanks,

CLaudio Fontana