Random short freezes due to TTM buffer migrations

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 14:33:32 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm seeing random temporary freezes (up to 2 seconds) under memory
pressure. Before I describe the exact circumstances, I'd like to say
that this is a serious issue affecting playability of certain AAA
Linux games.

In order to reproduce this, an application should:
- allocate a few very large buffers (256-512 MB per buffer)
- allocate more memory than there is available VRAM. The issue also
occurs (but at a lower frequency) if the app needs only 80% of VRAM.

Example: ttm_bo_validate needs to migrate a 512 MB buffer. The total
size of moved memory for that call can be as high as 1.5 GB. This is
always followed by a big temporary drop in VRAM usage.

The game I'm testing needs 3.4 GB of VRAM.

Setups:
Tonga - 2 GB: It's nearly unplayable, because freezes occur too often.
Fiji - 4 GB: There is one freeze at the beginning (which is annoying
too), after that it's smooth.

So even 4 GB is not enough.

Workarounds:
- Split buffers into smaller pieces in the kernel. It's not necessary
to manage memory at page granularity (64KB). Splitting buffers into
16MB-large pieces might not be optimal but it would be a significant
improvement.
- Or do the same in Mesa. This would prevent inter-process and
inter-API buffer sharing for split buffers (DRI, OpenCL), but we would
at least verify how much the situation improves.

Other issues sharing the same cause:
- Allocations requesting 1/3 or more VRAM have a high chance of
failing. It's generally not possible to allocate 1/2 or more VRAM as
one buffer.

Comments welcome,

Marek