[RFC] Using DC in amdgpu for upcoming GPU

Harry Wentland harry.wentland at amd.com
Thu Dec 8 14:33:25 UTC 2016

Hi Daniel,

just a quick clarification in-line about "validation" inside atomic_commit.

On 2016-12-08 04:59 AM, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> [...]
>>    fill in the gaps in the drm core that we need for certain features.
>>  * Making sure Atomic API support is correct.  Some of the semantics of
>>    the Atomic API were not particularly clear when we started this,
>>    however, that is improving a lot as the core drm documentation
>>    improves.  Getting this code upstream and in the hands of more
>>    atomic users will further help us identify and rectify any gaps we
>>    have.
>>
>> Unfortunately we cannot expose code for uGPU yet. However refactor / cleanup
>> work on DC is public.  We're currently transitioning to a public patch
>> review. You can follow our progress on the amd-gfx mailing list. We value
>> community feedback on our work.
>>
>> As an appendix I've included a brief overview of the how the code currently
>> works to make understanding and reviewing the code easier.
>>
>> Prior discussions on DC:
>>
>>  * https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-March/103398.html
>>  *
>> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-February/100524.html
>>
>> Current version of DC:
>>
>>  * https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/tree/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/display?h=amd-staging-4.7
>>
>> Once Alex pulls in the latest patches:
>>
>>  * https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/tree/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/display?h=amd-staging-4.7
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Harry

>> *** Appendix: A Day in the Life of a Modeset ***
>>
>> Below is a high-level overview of a modeset with dc. Some of this might be a
>> little out-of-date since it's based on my XDC presentation but it should be
>> more-or-less the same.
>>
>> amdgpu_dm_atomic_commit()
>> {
>>   /* setup atomic state */
>>   drm_atomic_helper_prepare_planes(dev, state);
>>   drm_atomic_helper_swap_state(dev, state);
>>   drm_atomic_helper_update_legacy_modeset_state(dev, state);
>>
>>   /* create or remove targets */
>>
>>   /********************************************************************
>>    * *** Call into DC to commit targets with list of all known targets
>>    ********************************************************************/
>>   /* DC is optimized not to do anything if 'targets' didn't change. */
>>   dc_commit_targets(dm->dc, commit_targets, commit_targets_count)
>>   {
>>     /******************************************************************
>>      * *** Build context (function also used for validation)
>>      ******************************************************************/
>>     result = core_dc->res_pool->funcs->validate_with_context(
>>                                core_dc,set,target_count,context);
>
> I can't dig into details of DC, so this is not a 100% assessment, but if
> you call a function called "validate" in atomic_commit, you're very, very
> likely breaking atomic. _All_ validation must happen in ->atomic_check,
> if that's not the case TEST_ONLY mode is broken. And atomic userspace is

This function is not really named correctly. What it does is it builds a
context and validates at the same time. In commit we simply care that it
builds the context. Validate should never fail here (since this was
already validated in atomic_check).

We call the same function at atomic_check

amdgpu_dm_atomic_check ->
	dc_validate_resources ->
		core_dc->res_pool->funcs->validate_with_context

As for the rest, I hear you and appreciate your feedback. Let me get
back to you on that later.

Thanks,
Harry