Video memory reported by GLX_MESA_query_renderer differs between amdgpu and radeon

Kai Wasserbäch kai at dev.carbon-project.org
Fri Dec 9 20:27:24 UTC 2016

[Please CC me on all replies, I'm not subscribed to this list.]

Hey,
I've been noticing that GLX_MESA_query_renderer reports less video memory when I
use amdgpu for my Hawaii PRO GPU, than when I use radeon. Since I'm pretty happy
with amdgpu (as I do not use HDMI audio) and it's the code, that gets active
improvements, I'd like to stay with it, but having 40 MB of video memory
"vanish" is not nice.
With radeon GLX_MESA_query_renderer reports 4096 MB RAM (as expected, the R9 290
was sold/advertised with that), while I'm seeing 4056 MB with amdgpu (last
tested kernel: 4.8.13).

As I'm not sure, whether this is a bug or rather some always reserved memory
area, which gets subtracted before reporting the available memory, I didn't file
a bug report and rather am writing this e-mail. If it's a bug I'm happy to file
the report against amdgpu.

Cheers,
Kai