[RFC] Using DC in amdgpu for upcoming GPU

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Tue Dec 13 12:59:53 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 12:22:59PM +0000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Hi Harry,
> I've been loathe to jump in here, not least because both cop roles
> seem to be taken, but ...
>
> On 13 December 2016 at 01:49, Harry Wentland <harry.wentland at amd.com> wrote:
> > On 2016-12-11 09:57 PM, Dave Airlie wrote:
> >> On 8 December 2016 at 12:02, Harry Wentland <harry.wentland at amd.com> wrote:
> >> Sharing code is a laudable goal and I appreciate the resourcing
> >> constraints that led us to the point at which we find ourselves, but
> >> the way forward involves finding resources to upstream this code,
> >> dedicated people (even one person) who can spend time on a day by day
> >> basis talking to people in the open and working upstream, improving
> >> other pieces of the drm as they go, reading atomic patches and
> >> reviewing them, and can incrementally build the DC experience on top
> >> of the Linux kernel infrastructure. Then having the corresponding
> >> changes in the DC codebase happen internally to correspond to how the
> >> kernel code ends up looking. Lots of this code overlaps with stuff the
> >> drm already does, lots of is stuff the drm should be doing, so patches
> >> to the drm should be sent instead.
> >
> > Personally I'm with you on this and hope to get us there. I'm learning...
> > we're learning. I agree that changes on atomic, removing abstractions, etc.
> > should happen on dri-devel.
> >
> > When it comes to brand-new technologies (MST, Freesync), though, we're often
> > the first which means that we're spending a considerable amount of time to
> > get things right, working with HW teams, receiver vendors and other partners
> > internal and external to AMD. By the time we do get it right it's time to
> > hit the market. This gives us fairly little leeway to work with the
> > community on patches that won't land in distros for another half a year.
> > We're definitely hoping to improve some of this but it's not easy and in
> > some case impossible ahead of time (though definitely possibly after initial
> > release).
>
> Speaking with my Wayland hat on, I think these need to be very
> carefully considered. Both MST and FreeSync have _significant_ UABI
> implications, which may not be immediately obvious when working with a
> single implementation. Having them working and validated with a
> vertical stack of amdgpu-DC/KMS + xf86-video-amdgpu +
> Mesa-amdgpu/AMDGPU-Pro is one thing, but looking outside the X11 world
> we now have Weston, Mutter and KWin all directly driving KMS, plus
> whatever Mir/Unity ends up doing (presumably the same), and that's
> just on the desktop. Beyond the desktop, there's also CrOS/Freon and
> Android/HWC. For better or worse, outside of Xorg and HWC, we no
> longer have a vendor-provided userspace component driving KMS.
>
> It was also easy to get away with loose semantics before with X11
> imposing little to no structure on rendering, but we now have the twin
> requirements of an atomic and timing-precise ABI - see Mario Kleiner's
> [...]

+1 on everything Daniel said here. And I'm a bit worried that AMD is not
realizing what's going on here, given that Michel called the plan that
most everything will switch over to a generic kms userspace a "pipe
dream". It's happening, and in a few years I expect the only amd-specific
userspace left and still shipping will be amdgpu-pro for
enterprise/workstation customers.

In the end AMD missing that seems just another case of designing something
pretty inhouse and entirely missing to synchronize with the community and
what's going on outside of AMD.

And for freesync specifically I agree with Daniel that enabling this only
in -amdgpu gives us a very high chance of ending up with something that
doesn't work elsewhere. Or is at least badly underspecified, and then
tears and blodshed ensues when someone else enables things. At intel we've
already stopped enabling kms features only in -intel, and instead using
weston, -modesetting or drm_hwcomposer as userspace demonstration vehicles
for new stuff. And I'll be pushing everyone else into that direction, too.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation